I Can’t Jump Start My Car: What Should I do?
A weak or dead battery is a common cause of why your car might have broken down in the middle of the road. However, if you’re unable to jump-start it, the problem might be faulty jumper cables or a lack of experience on your part, or you might have issues with your starter, alternator, or other components of the electrical system, such as the all too common electrical grounding issue. All you know is that your car isn’t taking you anywhere anytime soon, and has left you stranded on the road.
Here is what you can do if you can’t jump-start your car with jumper cables.
Consider Calling For Roadside Assistance
Roadside assistance is an excellent emergency road service that helps drivers get back on the road when their vehicles suffer a mechanical failure, leaving them stranded.
When you call for help, the service providers will either try to solve your problem over the phone or will send their roadside assistance to mobilize your vehicle. If the problem needs specialized service, they will send a tow truck to tow your car to the nearest vehicle repair workshop.
Before you call for roadside assistance, follow these steps to ensure yours and everyone else’s safety.
- Alert Other Drivers: Making your vehicle noticeable to other drivers is the most important thing to do before calling for roadside help. Not only is it necessary for your safety, but it is also a significant concern for the protection of other drivers on the road as they can easily miss your car and crash right into it.
- Know Your Location: We often receive calls from people to provide them with roadside assistance, but they are unable to explain to us where they are exactly stuck. For the help to arrive as fast as possible, know your exact location. Look for road signs, mile markers, exit numbers, etc. to pinpoint your location. You can also share your position via GPS or google map with the trusted roadside assistance company.
To increase the visibility of your car, turn on your hazard lights. We also recommend turning on your interior lights as it will make your vehicle much more visible. Use reflectors or road flares from your emergency car kit to avoid collisions with passing cars.
Do You Have Roadside Assistance Coverage?
Once you’re done securing yourself and the vehicle and figuring out where you’re parked, see if you’re covered for roadside assistance.
Call the following companies to see if they can come to your aid.
- Credit Card Company: Your credit card account may have you entitled to roadside assistance. To find out, call the customer service helpline for your credit card company and ask to speak to someone from the card benefits department. Credit card companies provide various consumer protection benefits, including free or cheap roadside assistance whenever you need it.
- Canadian Automobile Association- CAA: If you have a CAA membership, you know for sure that you’re entitled to its exceptional emergency roadside assistance. However, your membership may be out of date. Call their helpline to know your status.
- Warranty: If your vehicle is relatively new and a defective battery or other part caused the breakdown, then the manufacturer of your car might cover your towing and roadside assistance.
Find A Local Tow Service
If you don’t have roadside assistance coverage, you need to start finding a trusted local tow company right away. It would be best if you made sure that the company you choose offers a professional jump start.
- Professional Jump Start: The company you’re choosing must understand your problem — that you have experienced a car breakdown, and are unable to jump start it on your own. To get your battery running again, they will bring heavy-duty jumper cables and a battery starter kit and will do everything ‘in their power’ to get your vehicle and your day back on track.
At Action Towing, we provide professional towing and roadside services in Edmonton, Alberta. Give us a quick call if you’re unable to jump start your car. We will be happy to provide prompt services at the most affordable rates. Contact us for more information!