Understanding Vehicle Battery Drains & Boosting Services
In today’s fast-paced world, where we heavily rely on vehicles for our daily transportation needs, the last thing anyone wants is to be stranded due to a dead car battery.
Vehicle battery drains can catch us off guard and disrupt our plans, but fortunately, there are services available from reliable towing companies to help us get back on the road swiftly.
In this blog post, we will delve into the reasons behind vehicle battery drain, explore preventive measures, and shed light on the importance of boosting services.
The Culprits Behind Battery Drains
A dead car battery can be frustrating. Understanding the common culprits behind battery drains can help us take preventive measures.
Several factors can contribute to battery drains:
One of the main causes of battery drains is leaving electrical accessories such as lights, radios, or chargers on while the engine is off. These accessories draw power from the battery, and if left running for an extended period, they can substantially drain the battery.
Some vehicle components, like clocks, alarms, and even some control modules, require a small amount of power to maintain their settings. Over time, these parasitic drains can add up and deplete the battery.
Faulty Charging System
A malfunctioning alternator, which is responsible for charging the battery while the engine is running, can lead to battery drain. If the alternator isn’t working correctly, the battery might not receive the necessary charge, resulting in a gradual loss of power.
Both hot and cold weather can take a toll on car batteries. High temperatures can cause fluid evaporation and internal damage, while cold weather increases the load on the battery as it struggles to start the engine.
Car batteries have a limited lifespan, typically around 3 to 5 years. As they age, their capacity to hold a charge diminishes, making them more susceptible to drains.
While it’s impossible to completely eliminate the risk of battery drains, there are several steps you can take to reduce the likelihood of encountering this issue:
- Regular Maintenance: Adhering to a routine maintenance schedule ensures that your vehicle’s charging system, including the battery and alternator, remains in good working condition.
- Turn Off Accessories: Make it a habit to turn off all electrical accessories before turning off the engine. Double-check that lights, chargers, and entertainment systems are off to prevent unnecessary drain.
- Drive Regularly: Regularly driving your vehicle helps keep the battery charged, as the alternator works to replenish the energy consumed.
- Check For Faults: If you notice any signs of electrical problems, such as dimming headlights or difficulty starting the engine, have your vehicle inspected by a professional to identify and address potential issues.
- Protect From Extreme Temperatures: If possible, park your vehicle in a garage or shaded area during hot weather. During colder months, consider using a battery blanket to keep the battery warmer and more efficient.
The Role Of Boosting Services
Despite taking preventive measures, there might still be instances where you find yourself with a dead battery, 24/7 vehicle boosting services can help boost your dead car battery.
Boosting services, also known as jump-start services, provide a quick and effective solution to get your vehicle running again. Here’s why they are important:
- Immediate Assistance: Boosting services offer swift assistance when you’re stranded due to a dead battery. Instead of waiting for a tow truck, a boosting service can have your vehicle up and running again within minutes.
- Professional Expertise: The technicians providing boosting services are skilled in jump-starting vehicles without causing damage to the electrical system. They know the proper procedures and safety measures to follow.
- Convenience: Boosting services are often available 24/7, providing assistance whenever you need it. Whether you’re stuck in a parking lot or on the side of the road, help is just a phone call away.
- Cost-Effective: Jump-starting your vehicle is generally more cost-effective than towing it to a repair shop. It’s a simple procedure that can save you time and money.
- Temporary Solution: While boosting services can quickly get your vehicle running again, it’s essential to remember that a jump-start is a temporary fix. After jump-starting, it’s advisable to drive your vehicle for a reasonable amount of time to allow the alternator to recharge the battery fully.
How Can We Help?
Action Towing is a professional towing company that offers towing and vehicle-boosting services for all types of vehicles. We have been serving the Edmonton community for many years, earning the unwavering trust of our local residents.
As an experienced company specializing in towing, recovery, and boosting, we place our reliance on highly skilled tow truck operators and state-of-the-art equipment. So if you ever find yourself on the road and looking for help contact us.